Thursday, May 13, 2010

Gabriele Marcotti's Column


I don't particularly enjoy compiling "team of the season" type lists. But today I'm feeling masochistic, so I've actually gone out and made four of them.

Look at the Premier League table and you see Chelsea and Manchester United together at the top, Arsenal ten points back, but with a healthy five-point lead over the five clubs ranked fourth through eighth. Then there's an eleven-point gap between the five sides between 9 and 13 who enjoy a five-point gap between them and the rest of the table.

So, with that in mind, I split the Premier League up into four tiers (to be fair, Arsenal probably ought to get their own tier, but I did not want to make a Best XI composed only of Arsenal players, so I lumped them with Chelsea and Untied) and made a best XI for each. It's more fun this way and forces you to think a bit more about players who don't get talked about as much.

No comments: