Thursday, October 02, 2008

Product Test and Review: Nike Arsenal Property Tee - Gray


I wasn't having the best day a few weeks ago, but then I received an email that turned my frown upside down. The fine folks at soccerpro.com invited me to test one of their products. Not only would I receive an item and get to try it out, I would be allowed to pontificate to my heart's content about said piece of merchandise. I decided that the product to test and review would be the Nike Arsenal Property Tee - Gray.


Keep it simple and easy, right? And those of you who know me know that t-shirts are my favorite articles of clothing, hands down. So it was really a no-brainer.

The shirt arrived in a friendly little bag wedged into the mailbox amongst The Wife’s New England Journal of Medicine and US Weekly. Frank came running as I ripped open the bag, searching in vain for food. First impressions were solid. I had in my hands a soft, gray, 100% Cotton Made-in-Mexico masterpiece. As eager as I was to get the testing underway, I first had to head to the washing machine to rid the garment of any lingering manufacturing toxins. Once the cycle was complete, the shirt went into the dryer to shrink to the proper size.

Here’s where I can begin the review. I’m a fairly large dude (6’3”/210) and I like my t-shirts to be size Large. I don’t want the wear an XL sail, but I don’t want to show off too much of my, er, figure by going Medium. So here’s the deal. This shirt is too big. I mean, I wore it and loved it, but it fits more like an XL. Keep this in mind when you buy yours. I’d suggest going a size lower than usual. I rarely choose Medium, but in this case that would have been the better move.

Aesthetically, the thing is a gem. As an Arsenal Man, I’ve got more than my fair share of gear, most of it red. This is nice because it is primarily a soft gray, and the red lettering doesn’t stand out too much. The addition of the swoosh and cannon in gold is inspired as well, and creates a nice contrast. Finally, the crest on the sleeve is a classy touch. I’m pleased with my choice, and glad to have a non-bright red Arsenal clothing option.

Oh, yeah, I almost forgot. The weight. The weight of a t-shirt is critical for me. Too heavy and the thing feels like a blanket, especially when you start to sweat. Too light and it doesn’t give you enough support. The Nike Arsenal Property Tee splits the difference expertly. It performed quite well on my walk/jog with Frank over to Dave's house for the Arsenal vs. Porto Champions League match on Tuesday. And since the lads won, the shirt gets extra points.

It’s funny, because the Property Tee seems a very U.S. thing. I don't recall seeing this type of shirt before, and it’s odd to have a “Property Of…” t-shirt from an English football club. Which makes me like it even more. I'll give it four SSNs out of five. It would have been perfect but for the sizing issue. -Sanford

4 comments:

The Editor said...

Thanks, DJ Sad.

You'll be pleased to know that soccerpro has a ManU property tee in stock. Not sure if it'll be as soft and comfortable as mine...

virginia said...

how the hell does one get recognized as a prospective t-shirt tester?

The Editor said...

That's a very good question and one I cannot answer.

Julzy said...

where's the pic of you wearing it?