Friday, February 15, 2008

Brian Viner Interviews Martin Keown

I remember this all too well. I was with my family in Italy and was unable to find a place to watch the match. We were out in the countryside and there really weren’t any bars or pubs around. The next day I picked up a Gazzetta dello Sport to find this photo on the cover and Serie A news relegated to the lower reaches of the front page. With my limited Italian reading ability I was able to deduce what had happened. The Italians were totally freaked and went on and on about how Keown was a madman and had completely lost the plot. They found it so totally outrageous and of course invariably linked it to the inevitable demise of the English game and the superiority of Serie A.




The former England defender knows all about the special tensions of games between Arsenal and Manchester United. As the teams prepare for tomorrow's FA Cup encounter he talks in detail for the first time about the infamous occasion when he turned on Ruud van Nistelrooy.
"I rang my wife after the game. She's usually very supportive, but she said: "I think you've gone and done it now..."

No comments: