Monday, August 13, 2007

A Weird Weekend

Whew! I’m beat. I suppose that should be expected after EPL Kickoff Weekend, but I always seem to forget how much the opening slew of matches can take out of a man. Of course, over in Germany the Bundesliga got rolling too, but all I know is that Bayern Munich won with Klose and Toni contributing, and also that some of the promoted sides did well. I’ll have to catch up on that later, because England dominated my personal headlines.

Some weird things happened over the last two days. I won’t even bother scoring my picks from Friday because I was so off the mark. Derby scored as many as Pompey, ManU didn’t score at all, and Sunderland beat Spurs. Newcastle played attractive, positive football on their way to notching three goals and instead of just fighting back to a draw after surrendering an early lead, Arsenal grabbed a late victory. With an Alex Hleb goal, no less. See? Pretty weird. Before I go any further, however, click this link to see the goal of Matchday One. This’ll be right there come May for goal of the season candidate, I can guarantee:

http://beta.spikedhumor.com/articles/120554/Obafemi_Martins_Overhead_Bicycle_Kick.html

For some reason youtube has all their footie videos down. I think some lawyers filed a motion or something. Anyway, I was glad I could track this down. It’s very, very nice. Sadly, I had my eyes on the West Ham/Manchester City match-up and missed the live version. The yell that went up from the Toon supporter next to me almost made me lose my coffee.

Speaking of Man City, what a difference a few months makes. Sven’s charges certainly looked up for it, and played with a cohesion I did not expect so early in the season. Over on the other side of town United’s campaign got off to what could be termed a disastrous start, with a draw at home to Reading and the loss of Wayne Rooney for at least two months to yet another foot injury. I can’t tell you how many times over the years I’ve seen United grab that late winner deep into injury time. I can’t tell you the joy I felt watching time run out and that goal go begging.

News on the Adu front is that he could make the bench for Benfica’s Champions League match midweek versus Copenhagen. I’ll be rooting for him and Benfica to have a successful run in Europe. But only if Sporting win the league. Oh, and Beckham didn’t play and he’s still hurt and yadda, yadda. Just let me know when he’s healthy and I’ll try to care a little bit.

The beauty of the beginning of the season means it’s like Christmas in August: loads of matches. We’ve got Tottenham and Everton at White Hart Lane tomorrow and another slew of games on Wednesday. Reading will try and hold another giant; this time it’s Chelsea, while Manchester United travel to the south coast to meet with Portsmouth. And in the Champions League Arsenal entertain Sparta Prague while Liverpool travel to Toulouse. Just don’t make me watch Middlesbrough and Wigan. -Sanford

No comments: