Thursday, September 20, 2012

The Secret Footballer: Playing abroad? Welcome to the new culture club


There is a theory that playing abroad will open your eyes to the more technical side of the beautiful game. While this may be true, it can also cause major disruption and stress on your family life.

As anyone who’s embarked on any form of travelling/excuse not to do proper work (I know … I’m a footballer, oh the irony), mixing with people from different cultures and religions can be a real eye opener. Modern football has given many young people a worldly outlook on life despite spending little time abroad themselves.

Most, if not all, British clubs are now sensitive to the cultural differences within their squads and the needs that arise for those players with different beliefs to our own, whatever they are. But I only really appreciated what some of our finest imports experience when they are plying their trade in foreign climes when I found myself playing abroad.

No comments: