Friday, November 03, 2006

Sanford's Premiership Predictions

If Lawro can do it and only get one match correct on occasional weeks then I figure I can give it a go. Things are slow at the office at the moment so let’s take a crack at a few of the contests on offer this weekend…

Fulham vs. Everton

I always fancy Fulham at home and with Everton failing to win at Craven Cottage in 40 years I’ll stick with history on this one. Throw in that virus hopping about the Toffee camp and my vote is for a Fulham win.

2-1

Bolton vs. Wigan

As expected, Bolton has missed their captain Kevin Nolan and although they are at home, I think Wigan will prove difficult to beat. That said, I still think Bolton will win. Big Sam will have the lads ready to defend at the Reebok and although it will be the usual scrappy Bolton affair, they’ll pull it off – from set piece no doubt.

1-0

Liverpool vs. Reading

I really like Liverpool in this one, even though I don't approve of the gaffer's rotation policy. They’re at home and Reading lads appear to be falling back to Earth at great speed after a couple of successful months in the big time. I fear the visit to Anfield will overwhelm them.

4-1

Manchester United vs. Portsmouth

I’d like to think that Portsmouth could get a result here but that would be naïve. The Reds are starting to click and Rooney has broken his duck. This should be a lively encounter with plenty of action in both penalty areas. A late goal from Portsmouth will result in a score line that flatters them.

3-2

Newcastle vs. Sheffield United

Although this will kick off at St. James’ Park I can’t forecast a sunny afternoon for Geordie fans. Yes, the fixture list is crowded and yes that means times are tough. It also means Newcastle will fail to win: too many injuries and too much bad luck. This will be a drab encounter.

1-1

West Ham vs. Arsenal

I like Arsenal to continue their dominant play in the middle of the pitch and continue to have trouble finding the back of the net. They’ll still get a couple of goals, though. West Ham will keep it close but the Gunners will have too much for them in the end.

1-2

Right! That's it for this week. Tune in Monday to see how I fared. -Sanford

No comments: