Thursday, September 21, 2006

Xabi Alonso's Goal vs. Newcastle

He's only been in the EPL a couple of years but it seems like he's already scored a handful of goals like this. When I saw Spain at the World Cup, the first thing that struck me about Alonso was how tall he is. I was close enough to the pitch to really get a sense of his size. He's not one of those diminutive middies like Cesc or Riquelme or Steed. He's much bigger and has a greater stature. So yeah, this is a great strike. Thanks to soccerweblog for the vid. -Sanford

http://www.soccer-weblog.com/50226711/video_xabi_alonsos_wonder_strike_vs_newcastle.php

5 comments:

the idiot said...

Interesting - I'd always thought Alonso was a little smurf out there - good to know he is more substantial.

Congrats on the Gunners win at Man U - great match and a well-deserved result.

The Editor said...

As did I, hence my surprise. The smurf is Cesc. Or Monchichi...

Gotta do an image comparison on that one.

Anonymous said...

Were his shoulders stronger and broader than you expected? Were his hands big and masculine?

Were you close enough to ask him out on a date?

Anonymous said...

what color were his eyes?

The Editor said...

I did ask him out but he just laughed and said, "no americanos, gracias"...