Friday, July 07, 2006

Website warns tourists off 2010 World Cup

This is interesting. One thing that was discussed quite a bit while I was in Germany: If it is going so well here in 2006, how poorly will it go in South Africa in 2010? Most of my discussions were not based on any factors of local violence, but rather on the questionable infrastructure in SA, and the country's ability to handle a massive influx of football fans. I've never been there, but I spoke with many who have had personal experiences with organizational difficulties whilst traveling in South Africa. Of course, I've said that I think the lack of violence in Germany can be directly related to how smooth the authorites handled the masses. If trains are running frequently and on time, people are patient. If there are plenty of calm Polizei on hand when throngs decend on stadiums, the throngs remain calm...

http://football.guardian.co.uk/worldcup2006/story/0,,1815122,00.html

No comments: