Thursday, July 27, 2006

ESPN's The Sports Guy Chooses His EPL Team - Poorly - Part II

OK, I've calmed down so let's continue. Here's another brilliant comment:

17-year-old wunderkind Theo Walcott (the LeBron of the EPL)

Considering the fact that Theo Walcott has never PLAYED in the EPL, saying that this comparison lacks merit is an understatement. Wait - let me repeat. Walcott has never played in the EPL! Period. Oh, and LeBron should be pissed at the comparison...

Single Best Reason NOT To Pick Them: They're just not good enough. You don't want a team that's on TV twice a year and might get relegated at any time. Unless you're from there. Sorry, Stein. You're on your own.

The Sports Guy offers the above opinion under his Manchester City portion of his ridiculous preoceedings. Again - can he please get Fox Soccer Channel? I saw Man City last season more than I saw my wife.

3. NEWCASTLE UNITED
In a Nutshell: They're named after a beer I actually like.

Nope - turns out they're named after a CITY. Not a beer. Geez, this is getting ugly...

Sponsor: Take a guess.

Well, if you expect everyone to guess Newcastle Beer, they'd all be wrong. The brewery hasn't sponsored the team for some time. It's been Northern Rock for the past couple seasons. The picture YOU put in YOUR column of Michael Owen kinda points that out:




He's still on the beer kick with Newcastle here:

(Bonus reason to pick them: Did I mention they're named after a beer?

You did - we covered that above. Just like the Brooklyn Dodgers were named after Brooklyn Lager. Uh huh. Yeah.


2 comments:

the idiot said...

Very funny stuff (I love the line about seeing Man City more than your wife). When I read his article I wrote him an e mail asking if he got FSC. How do you follow the prem without it?

I'm cutting him some slack b/c he admits he is brand new to this and still not really a huge fan (likes to have games on in background). And he can be really funny.

Is there any discussion of collusion going on with the Newcastle cut-rate signing of Duff? Seems like the always shady duo of Abramovich and Mourinho let him go for less money rather than let Liverpool (I think Chelsea's biggest threat this year) or Spurs sign him. Freddy Sheppard was thanking Chelesea repeatedly at the news conference - that's kinda weird.

Well, great break for Newcastle. Maybe they should play an 0-10-0 formation this year.

The Editor said...

Yes - when your wife is a medical resident she ain't around much...

And yes again, I should cut him some slack. It makes for fun reading and he says that his info is mainly from emails. But even though he admits he's a novice he still makes blanket statements that are totally false. I just noticed that he printed a bunch of corrections, so that is nice. I'll post the link.

Indeed, indeed, something dodgy is afoot with the Duffy deal. Me thinks Sheppard dost thank too much!! It really is incredible how cheap they got him. DD was one of he top players before he was wasted at Chelsea. But to answer your question, I have not heard any discussion reagrding possible collusion. But something went down.