Friday, June 09, 2006

I Had a Good Weekend


A very good weekend. Before I elaborate, I must thank Brendan Moylan at Eurosport http://www.soccer.com/ for making my weekend so good. Thanks to that man, I now have in my possession tickets for:

June 18 - Brazil vs. Australia - Munich

This is a tantalizing match-up. The Aussies will come in with something to prove as representatives of Oceania. Representatives of what? Yeah, Oceania. Anyway, you need look no further than their “friendly” against the Dutch last weekend. Three of Holland’s men limped off and the vegemite eaters finished with 10 men. I can’t wait to see what sort of tackles will be flying around the Allianz Arena (and to see the Arena itself.

http://images.google.com/images?q=allianz+arena&hl=en&hs=t52&lr=&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&sa=X&oi=images&ct=title

I just hope things don’t get too out of control; I don’t want the Geri Curled One to be knocked out of commission in the Group Stage.

Munich is a fitting setting for a match between perhaps the two biggest partying nations on the planet. Odds on getting knocked over by 350 pound pissed (read: wasted) Aussie? 3-5.


June 19 - Spain vs. Tunisia - Stuttgart

I expect this to be a tight affair. Tunisia won the African Cup of Nations just two years ago (OK, they were the host country, but still) and play a European style that should suit them well against Spain. Spain? Well, we all know about Spain. Perennial underachievers, the Spanish have quality in buckets but can never seem to get it together. They have not gotten past the quarters since 1950! Spain! There is some good young blood in this team, though, and I think the likes of Alonso, Reyes, Villa and Xavi will provide some success. Spain wins this encounter 2-1.


June 21 - Portugal vs. Mexico - Gelsenkirchen

I feel kinda bad about this one. My neighbor Pedro, who came to the States from Mexico some 25 years ago, applied for tickets for each of Mexico’s Group Stage matches. He got Mexico vs. Angola. That’s it. He’s taking his 13-year-old son Adrian over for a father/son trip of a lifetime and he gets tickets to one lousy match. Pedro lets me watch Champions League matches on ESPN Deportes on his big-screen TV. Pedro, the professional chef, cooks my wife and me dinner in his outdoor kitchen. Pedro lets me borrow his chainsaw and power washer. Pedro can only get Mexico/Angola after applying the first day tickets go on sale and I get Portugal vs. Mexico dropped in my lap a week before the tourney starts.

I thought about giving him the ticket. I really did. But I’ll tell you why I didn’t, and why I won’t. I just can’t give up the opportunity to root against Mexico. Oh, I like Portugal fine. Great country. Nice people. Good wine. I went on my honeymoon there, for crying out loud. But their national team just rubs me the wrong way. No, I’m most excited to root vehemently against Mexico. That and check out Shalke’s killer stadium (http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/photos/stadium/gel.html).
Disclaimer: On an earlier post I said “root, root, root for the hemisphere.” That does not include Mexico.


June 22 - Ghana vs. USA - Nuremberg

The final group game for the US. My pals Pat and Ivar will be there = good times. But will the United States advance? And at this point in the proceedings, how important will the game be? I’m nervous already.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

can't wait for the match reports and photos showing the craziness.

Anonymous said...

I guess someone has to go, enjoy and give us the feel with your photos and illustrative commentary.
tim