Friday, June 30, 2006

And the USA crashes out


It was probably bad luck when we saw Frankie Hedjuk before the start of the match. Wearing a Frankie Hedjuk jersey. With his wife and son. Who were wearing Frankie Hedjuk jerseys. We found out it was him when a guy in a Hedjuk jersey walked by and Ivar said, "Hey! Frankie Hedjuk! Do the funny hippie dance!" And the guy turned around and it was Frankie Hedjuk. I got a photo with him -- I'll post it once back Stateside. I know my wife is jealous - he's her least favorite player.

But then I thought it was good luck when I saw a family wearing CALDWELL USA jerseys. Oh well.

Bottom line? The US did OK in a very difficult group. The fact that we did not advance is not a real shocker. With a little bit of different luck things might have been different. But it just wasn't to be.

Big thanks to Alan The Scot from Tucson for giving a ticket to Meredith at face value. Too bad her first soccer game had to be the one where the US got eliminated, but I think we all had a good time. Once again my seat was glorious - tenth row just short of midfield, I believe. Loads of US fans and a few from Ghana. The Ghanians were quite nice and very friendly. Good people. So at least the US went out to a nice country, even if the Ghana players were inventing injuries to waste time.

So I wore my Fuck Bush shirt (photos later) to the match. I got a lot of compliments, which was nice. I also had a bunch of people asking to have their picture taken with me. It was an interesting experience.

More soon! Photos!

No comments: