Friday, June 30, 2006

Thinking about the quarterfinals

Argentina vs. Germany

Loads of potential here. This could be an instant classic. If you live in England where ESPN Classic actually shows soccer. Lucky wankers. Anyway, Germany has proved the doubters wrong not only by winning, but by playing attractive, offensive-minded football. It's a shame that one of these teams will not be able to advance. Argentina certainly has the advantage in depth. The ability to bring on quality like Messi, Tevez, Aimar, et. al is the envy of any nation. Meanwhile, Germany has the advantage of playing in, well, Germany. Klose vs. Ayala will be a joy to behold while some wonder if this is the match when Ballack puts his stamp on the tournament.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Argentina wins with relative ease.

Italy vs. Ukraine

Italy have all the superstarts they could want and still resort to ugly soccer to advance. The dives and whining make me sick. I'll never get the image of De Rossi being "shocked" at his redcard out of my head. It sums up the Italian experience. La dolce vita? No, la acida vita. Here's hoping the stellar Ukriane defense holds firm and does not get robbed a la Australia.

I think they will hold firm - the Ukies win this one and la vita comoda ends for Italia.

England vs. Portugal

Deco's absence will really hurt the Portos. Costinha will be missed as well but Deco's creativity and spark are key to their chances. Maniche and Figo have carried them i nrecent games but I think this is the end of the road. Even if Ronaldo is "fit" England can shut him down. Will Becks & Co. finally get their act together and stop embarrassing themselves with ugly wins? I don't know but they'll win anyway anyhow.

Brazil vs. France

It's 1998 all over again. I'm in Chicago at Patrick's house watching the match with Millicent and Marky while 40 other people enjoy a BBQ outside oblivious to the action on the telly. Ronaldo does not play and Zizou, Petit and Thuram lead the French to an unexpectedly easy win. What's in store for the '06? No Chicago and no easy win. When I watched Brazil beat the Aussies in Munich I thought that they were getting loads of calls. Later, once I was able to read about the match, I was pleased to see that I had been correct. This was not an isolated incident. Brazil supposedly plays the beautiful game but they foul and tackle as hard as Edgar Davids on cocaine. And for some reason, the refs let them get away with it. This keeps the opposition from being able to establish any type of rhythm. I'm hoping that against France it'll be more of a fair fight.

I think it will be - France wins. Just barely.

No comments: