Friday, June 30, 2006

Some thoughts - off the field

I posted an article that touches on some of these same issues below, but I feel it is worth some additional discussion. I was terribly impressed by the welcoming nature of the Germans, and in particular the Polizei. I've attended numerous matches in the past where the presence of the police only added to the agitation felt by the fans. This was not the case in Germany. The police were actually serving those of us at the matches, in the host cities, and around the country at large. And in the act of serving, they were protecting as well. They were making sure too many people didn't get on the train at once. They were telling people the best line to use to enter the stadium. They were operating information kiosks to facilitate fan interactions and enjoyment in host cities. It is the tone that law enforcement has set that has allowed for such a violence-free tournament thus far.

As for Joe German, he too has been most accommodating. At every train station I entered or arrived, there was a large World Cup Information kiosk set up. I could approach the kiosk, ask anything (where is my hotel?) and receive maps, directions, etc. Those staffing the kiosks were volunteers, eager to help a visiter see the best of their particluar city. It was a great system and worked quite well.

The only time I ever saw the locals get angry was in Munich at a brewhouse that was being overrun by drunk Aussies and Brazilians. Luckily Pat and I had had our fill and were ready to hit the sack when things started to get dodgy. The poor wait staff was overwhelmed and when one table skipped on our wonderful waitress without paying the bill, it was the last straw. So Pat and I left. I hope all ended OK.

No comments: