Thursday, September 14, 2006

Not Ready For Prime Time: Justin Hoyte

I've watched this lad in quite a few games now and unlike any of the other Gunner Babies, Hoyte just doesn't pass the test. Young players like Senderos, Eboue, and Fabregas have all had their issues at the onset of their careers in the first-team but with Hoyte he really seems out of his element. As a defender he does not fill me with confidence and on the rare instances when he does venture forward in support he offers little in creativity or force. When Cesc started out he seemed too little to be a cog in the midfield but you could see the skill, vision, and pace that were there. You could tell that once he figured out the physical demands of his position, he'd excel. Likewise, Senderos has been guilty of his fair share of dodgy defending but his technique and physical presence were such that it was clear that he'd improve with experience. I don't see anything to comfort me when I watch Hoyte. Flamani should be back there and Hoyte should be gaining his experience at Barnet and in the League Cup. -Sanford

1 comment:

the idiot said...

I totally agree - in fact, I didn't even realize Hoyte was expected to be very good. I don't think of him as I do Eboue, Senderos, and Fabergas (as keys to the future of Arsenal). I much prefer Flamini, whom I thought played admirably and grew in confidence last year (at defense - he had originally played midfield, right?).

How pleased were you to see Rosicky check in and smash one home for the second against Hamburg? That must have released a lot of tension for Gunners fans crying out for more shots.

Further, I think he is the only really good shooter in the midfield. Cesc and Hleb can create and finish, but they haven't shown me the ability to score from distance. Freddie L can't do it either. I was worried about that for Arsenal, but perhaps the diminutive Czech will provide that.

Provided Henry can play, I like Arsenal in the upset against Man U. Or at least to get a point. Enjoy the match!