Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Phil Ball in Spain

Every Monday night I turn up at Berio training ground in San Sebastian around 7pm, ostensibly to watch the last half hour of my son's training session. Of all the three training sessions during the week, and I watch them all, Monday is my favourite. It's easy enough to work out why. There is a hardcore group of fathers who turn up around the same time, and we huddle in the warmer protective area of the outside bar, from where you can still watch the training, sipping a wine or beer and talking about the weekend's action. It often starts with the boys' game itself, but then turns to La Liga in general. As I've mentioned before, these male huddle-sessions are crucial for my understanding of Spanish football, but not for my understanding of the offside rule. You know where this is going.

No comments: