Monday, February 08, 2010

Editor´s Report: Chelsea vs. Arsenal

"You've won fuck all for five years!"
"Arsenal, wankers! Wank Wank Wank!"
"Same old Arsenal, always cheating!"
"Are you Tottenham in disguise?!"
"There's only one team in London!
Just a few of the chants I endured sitting amongst the Chelsea faithful in the Shed End yesterday. I thought I'd be in the away section with the Arsenal supporters but I was not about to complain; I had a ticket, I was in the ground, and I was seeing world-class football in the flesh.
I was behind this guy while waiting for the tube after the match...



And so the match progressed as I might have expected. Were I a betting man, I could have done pretty well. What were the odds on a Drogba double? Certainly good enough to pay off decently. Can you place money on Arsenal attackers getting into scoring position and choosing to pass instead of shoot? Thankfully, The Arsenal looked a far bit better than they did against United, even if the persistent problems in the side remain just that: persistent. Being behind the goal I got a chance to watch both Cech and Almunia carefully and the gap in quality between the two keepers was staggering. Quite simply, Cech commanded his area and positioned himself perfectly, regardless of the situation. Almunia never looked comfortable, whether on set pieces or during the run of play. Meanwhile, Theo Walcott again failed to deliver. His best moments actually came when he was forced to defend and his pace allowed him to shut down a couple of Chelsea attacks. Like the United match, Arshavin had a chance or two but failed to connect. When he is the lone "striker", if he is lucky enough to get a look at goal he must convert. And he did not yesterday. I could go on and on about what happened on the pitch and disappointed I was, but that was only part of the experience. I felt lucky to see some of the best players in the world playing very well. And the ability to see the entire field of play was so refreshing. It enhanced the viewing experience immensely, something I had forgotten. Too often on television you can only follow the ball and that excludes so much of the action. Enjoy the videos. Tomorrow is an Emirates Stadium tour with Derby County legend Charlie George (!!) followed by Fulham vs. Burnley at Craven Cottage. Wednesday is Liverpool at The Emirates and you'd have to say that's a must-win for the Gunners if they hope to avoid a potential free-fall. Onward. -Sanford

4 comments:

Bartholomew said...

Henry was still upset about this last night.

I think you said everything. Drogs and Cech are world class. Walcott and Almunia are championship class.

Hopefully the match with the scousers will go betters.

Bobbie BS said...

Sanford, nice work. How's you score the ticket?

Pedro said...

You didn't get nearly the camera time that Matt Damon got. Get your press agent on that.

The Editor said...

Bobbie -- ticket from a professional tout. He is leaving shortly for Vancouver to scalp Olympics tickets. No lie. Bizzare.

Sadly, just Simona and me for Fulham-Burnley tonight. Alec is not well.

-Sanford