Monday, July 03, 2006

One for Four Ain't Too Bad

So my predictions were poooooor, as the Scots would say. Although, with the exception of Ukraine and Italy, I don't think I was far off.

Let's begin with Argentina. Things were going swimmingly until they dropped Riquelme for Cambiasso. That's taking off your most creative midfield general and replacing him with a defensive midfielder whose passing skills are questionable. Why not bring in Aimar? It has worked well in the past. Or Messi - he's proved he can play anywhere in the midfield or up front. Anyway, things went down hill from there and Argentina blew it and proved they are bad losers with their post-game cryfest and brawl. They win the 2006 Whine World Cup. And they piss me off because I didn't get to see Messi play again. Stupid. I was happy to see Lehman maiking those saves, though. We need his head on straight come August when Arsenal get back in action.

Italy. I don't want to talk about Italy. Yeah, they were way better than Ukraine but they can go to hell. Italy and Argentina should get together for an evening of whining and diving.

And England. Oh, England. How can Frank Lampard rule the EPL and then be such complete crap for his country? Rooney getting sent off wasn't the problem - he should not have started by himself up top. He was too isolated. I really thought they would get it together for this one but it just didn't happen. You've got to blame Sven. Thankfully he's on his way out. I'm just glad I didn't drop 500 Euro on a ticket to that disaster in Gelsinkirchen. What a joke.

France and Brazil. Yes, yes, yes. I actually called this one. And I'm damn pleased. Brazil did not deserve to be in the game - they had not played well and had enjoyed plenty of preferential treatment from the refs. Ronaldhino looked like he should have been playing for England - he would have fit in well. And it was a vintage masterclass from Zizou and co. All in all, a pleasure to behold.

1 comment:

___ said...

hey geoff. pedro here.
good to see some reports, on your own words.
and i'm also glad that you avoid portugal-england match. it sucked, like almost matches in this cup. but, still better than 2002 world cup. not?
what do you think about the last cups?
odds for the semi-finals? c'mon... place the bets!!!