Friday, June 09, 2006

Things are starting to come together

So after the initial euphoria of getting actual World Cup tickets died down, I started to panic. Matches on the 17th, 18th, 19th, 21st and 22nd in Kaiserslautern, Munich, Stuttgart, Gelsenkirchen and Nurnberg? How the hell am I going to pull that off? Thanks to Germany's excellent rail site http://www.bahn.de/-S:PtVORN:eVpOPdNNRFUuHNNNNXlM/p/view/international/englisch/international_guests.shtml I've got a decent idea of my schedule. Suffice to say night trains will be key.

The other great news is that the one and only Pat Buckley will be accompanying me to Munich and perhaps Stuttgart. We're going to meet up for USA/Italy in the 'Slautern and then ride the night train http://www.bumwine.com/nighttrain.html down to Munich. Pat grabbed a room at the hotel where I've got a bed, so we're golden. It's smack dab in the city center and should offer excellent access to the hords of Brazilian and Aussie loonies. The people watching will be fabulous.

My biggest problem at the moment is finding a room in Gelsenkirchen. I was going to grab another night train to Nuremberg but The Wife suggested I get a room and she's right (per usual). I should get some solid shut-eye if I can. Anyway, there's nothing available in Gelsen. so I'm trying for something in Essen, which is a 10-minute train away. I'm waiting to hear back from some places at the moment.

No comments: