Monday, June 19, 2006

Bloodbath in Kaiserslautern

Kaiserslautern was nuts. Made it down there without too much trouble and met up with Pat. To make a long story short, I did not get a ticket. Pat and Ivar did, so I left them to enjoy and found a great biergarten in the forest to watch the match. Deborah from Jackson, Mississippi, was my pal during the mayhem that ensued. Her family is here for vacation because her son is a soccer freak. Like me, her crew was inside the stadium so we had to view solo.

I´m proud of the way our guys represented. Some of the calls were totally bogus, but in an uphill battle we let it be known that we can hang with Italy. At least it means the Ghana game is meaningful. Should be a classic. The crowd in town was insane. Loads of wasted Italians acting like fools and tons of Americans doing the Team America cheer, "America, Fuck Yeah!" And that beats "USA! USA!" by a mile. I was actually pretty damn impressed by the US presence and support. Obviously there are some massive military bases nearby but it seemed that most people had come over from the States.

Kudos again to the Germans for being such great hosts. Pat and I were able to snare a great steak and frites dinner after the kitchen had closed at one place before grabbing our overnight train to Munich.

No comments: